Vodafone Albania Foundation: One year of substantial contribution for people and communities in need.
Today, on July 9th, 2009, Vodafone Albania Foundation launches its First Annual Report for the year 2008/09. The report provides a complete picture of the past year social investment, covering the period April 2008 - March 2009, while recording one of the biggest charity donation of the year provided by a business in the country.
Thanks to funds given by Vodafone Albania Sh,.A. and Vodafone Foundation in the UK, the Foundation was able to launch and manage, in a year’s time, three rounds of applications, identifying and approving implementation of 20 qualitative proposals in response to the emerging priorities for communities in need, generating thus significant impact in the fields of Education, Health, Environment and Social Welfare. The effect of such projects extended to a wide geographical range including Kukës, Shkodër, Lezhë, Durrës, Tiranë, Elbasan, Vlorë, Gjirokastër and other regions.
This year program is also featured by projects focused on a large category of beneficiaries, including support to children with no access to education, disabled individuals, assistance to communities living in poor areas, support to the Roma community and marginalized target groups, such as assistance to victims of human trafficking, women at risk for child abandonment, etc.
As promised during the official launch of the Foundation in January 2008, new initiatives are promoted during this year, introducing the innovative “World of Difference” programme and “Sport and Music” programme in support of disadvantaged people. The challenging projects of the two “World of Difference” winners and the organization of Special Olympic Games 2008 in Albania are the outcomes of these efforts.
It needs to be highlighted that the Foundation was one of the first institutions to announce its immediate response and commitment to aid population touched by the disasters, including the aid packages donated through the Albanian Red Cross to 880 families in Gërdec, and the biggest investment of the year, the reconstruction of the primary school in Gërdec – enabling that 125 children of Gerdec nowadays have a renovated school as per contemporary standards.
“It is our business DNA to play our responsibility role. The Foundation represents our strong CR vehicle in implementing social investment policy, ensuring efficiency and sustainability. We look at what we were able to do in a year time, and this certainly make us feel proud, and at the same time, eager to more challenging future commitments.“ – said Mr. Haris Broumidis, CEO of Vodafone Albania
Highlights from the Foundation’s Annual Report 2008/09:
- Total funding of the year is 75,345,278 Lekë, which includes the amount donated in all four programs implemented throughout the past year;
- Out of the total funding, the response to emergencies consisted in 3 projects, including two projects implemented in Gërdec and one in Gjirokastër, for an amount of 31,000,000 Lekë;
- Brief description on impacts from the projects funded under last year Grants’ Program, totalizing a number of 15 projects implemented in several areas in Albania, pertaining to the fields of interventions as stated in the Foundation’s mission, respectively Education, Health, Environment and Social welfare – for an total investment of 42,345,878 Lekë;
- Introduction of the “World of Difference” program started in Albania, with two winners speaking about their challenging year in working to make a difference through their projects;
- Presentation of the unique experience in organizing the Special Olympic Games 2008 in Albania;
Complete Financial Statements and the relevant notes, along with the letter from the Indipendent Auditor;
For further information please contact:
Tel: +355 4 23 83 268/7
Fax: +355 4 23 83 33